Many people have the potential to be a great leader, and yet many do not achieve the leadership position they desire or the leadership excellence they strive for in their role as a leader. There rarely is a single reason for this, which is precisely why individualized coaching with a seasoned leadership professional often brings out the best results in the least amount of time.
In the “I couldn’t have put it better myself” category, these inspiring and educational articles are good to add to your arsenal of learning:
- Nine Steps to Effective Business Problem Solving — Here is a 9-step formula from author Brian Tracy that I believe will help leaders and managers up their game in solving common business problems.
- Anxiety Leads to Bad Decisions. Here’s Why You Need to Prioritize Employee Mental Health. — As leaders we tend to overlook the human side of our employee’s productivity. This article helps bring that to our attention.
- The Case for Leadership Driven HR — Your people are the largest expense and the greatest asset in your organization, so the question is, why do we not look at them from that viewpoint in the boardroom. The boardroom should not be focusing on process improvement or costs without the human element.
These inspiring leadership and management resources are some of my favorites:
- Johnny Laurent – a John Maxwell Certified Trainer — This is my John Maxwell Certified Coach, Teacher, Trainer and Speaker website, featuring the type of services I offer using the respected and effective John Maxwell methods, including Masterminds, The Leadership Game and Maxwell Leadership Assessment.
- The Global Leadership Summit — This group puts on a global leadership summit at least once a year with great speakers. There is always growth opportunities from it.
Audio inspiration, perfect for your work commute or your next flight!
- Leadership and Loyalty podcast – Hosted by Dov Baron. Aimed at “Fortune 500 executives. Baron interviews authors, consultants and leaders on the kind of leadership that inspires fierce loyalty.
Check out my favorite online videos that I personally found helpful or encouraging to business leaders.
- Start with Why – Simon Sinek — This is a great video for new leaders. Simon breaks down how great leaders cast vision and why people follow them.
- The Millennial Question – Simon Sinek — This is my favorite viewpoint on millennials that I have seen. It, in fact, led me to write an article on Leading Millennials.
Articles are great, but nothing beats a book for focused perusal on a key business subject. Here are some of my favorite books aimed at business professionals seeking to advance their career, grow stronger teams and achieve company goals.
- Execution – The Discipline of Getting Things Done – Larry Bossidy, Ram Charan — This is the first business book I can remember reading, and it had a profound impact on my leadership throughout my career. Although business culture has changed quite a bit from the examples used, I believe the principles hold true across time.
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership – John C. Maxwell — This is a must-read book for any leader or aspiring leader. John Maxwell breaks down the complexity of great leadership into 21 digestible laws.
- Intentional Living – John C. Maxwell — No matter where you want to go in your career or in your life, this book gives you practical instruction and inspiration. Growth will not happen with a “big bang”, it will take direction and purpose.
- The Dream Manager – Matthew Kelly — This very unique book takes a look at employee satisfaction and how it impacts turnover and customer satisfaction. It is not a traditional look at employee satisfaction in the workplace, but instead focuses on how helping your employees achieve their dreams builds loyalty and customer satisfaction.